Family Development Specialist Certification Training
The Family Development Specialist (FDS) model offers seven core skill sets. Upon completion of this training, attendees will be certified as a Family Development Specialist. Twenty-one (21) CPEs from the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board are pending.
Please note: To complete the certification, participants must attend all full sessions and four days of virtual training.
Bob Swanson will certify attendees by covering the overall course objectives including:
- The ability to support and empower families through skillfully building a collaborative relationship
- The ability to help families identify their goals and barriers, and development a plan to achieve their goals
- The awareness and intervention strategies for dealing with challenging family issues including psychological, emotional, and interpersonal
- The skillful application of core coping skills for families with systemic understanding of families and their context
- The ability to identify strengths, develop a plan, and coordinate a network of resources in partnership with families to help them achieve their goals including skillful application of family assessment tools (eco-map, geno-gram, timeline, matrix, balance wheel)
- The ability to advocate for families within communities through application of community organizational and group facilitation skills
- The ability to access appropriate sources of professional growth, utilize self-awareness skills, and ongoing self-care resources while providing Family Development services.
Bob Swanson has extensive knowledge of the Community Action Network having served as the Executive Director of Washington State Community Action Partnership for over sixteen years, and having provided Family Development Specialist Certification training for the past fifteen years. Bob has certified over 1,800 specialists across twelve states. He is also a certified ROMA Master Trainer and does Return on Investment calculations for agency programs. Bob has a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from the University of Washington and a Masters in Counseling from Seattle University. He lives in Seattle with his wife Rita, who is an Audit Manager with the Washington State Bar Association.